Thursday, 8 June 2017

Harrier show at Blacktoft.

Had to stay at home waiting for some garden fencing to be delivered. As usual when I wait for a delivery it is always close to the end of the time slot I am given!
Decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at Blacktoft as the weather forecast was for a fine evening.
I arrived at 1530 and went to talk to Pat in reception. She had not had many visitors during the wet morning, but visitors had seen a red kite and bittern.
I walked down to Ousefleet, the vegetation on the path is growing quickly.
 The recent rain had increased the water level on this part of the reserve. Lots of black headed gulls were feeding on the mud, and earlier visitors had seen little ringed plovers.
 Marshland was my next stop where a few avocets were trying to find some dry land to stand on.
From Xerox hide you have a good view over the reserve and the hide where I got some good views of marsh harriers.
The birds were hunting over the lagoons, presumably looking for young birds such as coots.

First hide was my next stop, again the harriers came close to the hide as they were hunting.


Towend lagoon was very quiet.
Singlrton hide was my last stop.

 
Lots of warbler activity in the long vegetation, but the birds did not remain visible for long.
A grey heron suddenly took off from the lagoon


 
one again marsh harriers were putting on a good display as they were hunting in the early evening sunshine.

 A few swifts were busy feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment